Then, once I came face to face with an accident which I will never forget. I am lucky to be alive and also to survive without being handicapped to write this. Even now, when I think about it, I get a shudder through my spine.
We were practicing the VVIP Motorcade drill in our parade ground. But, we (Commandos) were the people to be in the lead and main vehicles in motorcade, so we were asked to be on the ground to see the practice. I was standing in the pavilion with my colleagues. The drill was to block an approaching attacking vehicle against the motorcade using the first vehicle of the motorcade itself. Both the drivers were on the vehicles, and they started the practice in high speed. First time, both the vehicles didn’t even touch when the approaching (attacking) vehicle was blocked. The next time they hit by the side. Seeing this and getting bored I said, half to my-self and a half to others, that this will make use of an ambulance.
Actually, I was the only person seeing the practice, because I was facing the ground, in the pavilion. Some of my friends were around me, and some others were away in other groups. Then the drivers were ordered to hit a bit more hard and they came speedier. The next I saw was a splash of dust in the ground and a jeep rushing towards us. When I knew it was aiming towards us I shouted to my friends. They scattered to all directions. Then I realised that I am the only target. But I waited hoping that it will not reach me, because, I am up on the fourth step of the pavilion, and the jeep cannot reach there, or the driver might stop it. And when I realised that the driver can’t brake and the steps are not a barrier for the jeep, it was too late.
Then I tried to jump backward over the iron railing which I was leaning. But it was an unwanted hope. I was hit on the left outer thigh by the jeep’s bumper and was thrown backward including the iron railing. I was thrown at the wall 3 meters behind the railing. My right elbow and the right hip hit the wall and were scratched deeply. I was standing there a moment, but the jeep was not yet still. It moved towards me in a lesser speed. I was clinching to the wall. I saw the bumper of the jeep once again coming towards me in my chest level. Really I thought, I will be finished, or at least my ribs will be broken. The next moment I fell to the ground. I was not able to stand on my left leg, because it was previously hit. The very next moment, the bumper hit the wall which I was leaning. Later I saw there a one and a half inch itch, which might had taken my both legs at knee height, if I was standing there. The front of the jeep had come down to the wall after running over the highest fourth step of the pavilion. My friends and all came hurried. They where shivering. I was having a feeling in my mind – why this hell happed to me? I was sure that I had broken my thigh bone. At that time I was between the front tyres of the jeep on my left, the wall on my right, the body of the jeep above me and beneath me, the ground. They hurried me to get up. Because I thought my thigh bone is broken, I said them that I am OK and only fears about my thigh bone. Then I crawled out and was lifted to their shoulders, my left leg not pressing on the ground.
I was taken to the nearby hospital. They dressed up the wounds and asked to take me to the Medical College Hospital. I was shifted to MCH in our department ambulance. On the way, through the window of the ambulance I saw, a transport bus running through our place, when the ambulance overtook it. I was expecting somebody around my house to be in it, and might inform to my house, which I don’t want to happen.
At the MCH, the X-ray was taken and they declared that there is not even a hairline fracture. Once again I was lucky. But I was asked to stay in the hospital for various reasons with the person who was with the driver in the jeep. The next day, I was able to walk lightly, with the injured leg tied with bandage. Then I called my house. The phone was attended by my sister and I said her with my maximum pleasant voice that I had had a small accident with a bruise and is staying in the hospital just for formalities. Then she asked me, was I taken to the hospital in our ambulance. I said yes. As I suspected, she was in that bus which I saw. But she was not sure whether it was me. So they were not worried.
I left the hospital after 3 days. And after, about 3 months I got OK. Once again I escaped from that which was inevitable.

No comments:
Post a Comment